I have always been fascinated by people and passionate about learning why we as human beings do what we do, what motivates us, how we connect to each other and the world around us.
What I love about coaching is that I can help my clients be curious about themselves and the world around them, and at the same time learn from them in the process.
How did I get here?
I first came across coaching when I was managing a team of IT specialists, me a Baby Boomer, my team a bunch of young technocrats, me finance/accounting savvy, them very very tech savvy, me deep in organisational culture, them fresh, enthusiastic with less work experience.
You can Imagine the challenge! In my previous roles as manager, I lead with the strength of my knowledge and seniority, and now I was faced with lack of knowledge and my seniority seemed to be more of a liability than an asset, and it was certainly challenging for my team, how could they be managed by a non-technocrat leader?
Through coaching I learnt that there is more to leading than knowledge and technical information, and work experience, I learnt to listen, trust and see myself as a contributor rather than the “boss”. Looking back now I see the value of being challenged by the “job” and how the coaching process contributed to my personal growth and the effectiveness of the team.
I learned to be more aware about myself and others and I realised that this was just the beginning of my journey to a new way of seeing, being, and doing. I realised I don’t need specific knowledge to support others to achieve outcomes and that was the defining moment for me and I decided that I can bring my life experience and new found skills to support others work through challenges and get results that they want, and that is what I do as a coach.
10 things to know about me:
- Family and friends rate high on my list
- I love nature, travel and photography, they are constant source of learning for me
- I am passionate about learning from children and youth, I have learned a lot from my son
- I am committed to creating an environment where people can be heard and supported, so that they can make choices that are best fit for them
- I like cooking and sharing food with others
- Home is where I hang my hat, I am a world citizen
- I like red household appliances
- I love simplicity
- I get excited that others do things differently to me and they work just as well
- I am ok with being vulnerable, I am who I am
Want to know more please use the contact page to organise a free no obligation consultation on what you can achieve with life coaching from in2reflection.